These seven rules are simple enough that most can follow them:
- Avoid “Dieting”: By dieting, you’re setting yourself up to gain more weight than ever.
- Avoid “Fat-Free”: Fat doesn’t make you fat; you need fat in your diet to help you process certain nutrients.
- Sit Down to Eat: Eating more slowly and savoring your meal boosts levels of two hormones that make you feel fuller.
- Plan Your Meals and Snacks: Planning your responses to hunger helps you shed pounds faster.
- Eat Protein: Those who eat moderately high levels of protein (including organic animal protein) are twice as likely to lose weight and keep it off as those who don’t eat much protein.
- Move Around: “Fit people stay fit by having fun.”
- Watch Less TV: Nearly 30 percent of people who watch more than four hours of TV a day have a BMI of 30 or higher.